Frequently Asked Questions
- What is ILLiad?
- What is ILL?
- How do I log in to ILLiad?
- Why don't I see all my older requests when I look at my ILLiad request history?
- Who do I contact if I have problems with or questions about ILL or the ILLiad system?
- What items can be ordered through ILL?
- How do I request an item through ILLiad?
- Are there any restrictions on what can be requested through ILL?
- How long does it take to get ILL items?
- How can I get my ILL items faster?
- How can I check the status of my ILL request?
- In what situations would an ILL request be cancelled?
- How will I be notified when my item arrives?
- How can I pick up my items?
- Can I take ILL books out of the library?
- How do I know when to bring an ILL book back?
- Can ILL books be renewed?
- What happens if my ILL items are overdue or lost?
What is ILLiad?
ILLiad is the electronic system you use to request an item through Interlibrary Loan. The name ILLiad can be thought of as an acronym for InterLibrary Loan internet accessible database.
What is ILL?
ILL stands for Interlibrary Loan. This is the service that allows you to request books, articles, and more from other libraries when they are not available in Tripod, our library catalog, or via EZBorrow.
How do I log in to ILLiad?
Your ILLiad username and password are the same as your Bryn Mawr College username and password. If you have forgotten your password, go to http://password.brynmawr.edu to reset it or call the Help Desk (610-526-7440) and they can walk you through the password reset process.
Why don't I see all my older requests when I look at my ILLiad request history?
From time to time we purge older records from ILLiad. Our policy is to keep successful requests online for two years in order to comply with record keeping requirements of copyright law.
Who do I contact if I have problems with or questions about ILL or the ILLiad system?
Contact the Interlibrary Loan Coordinator at 610-526-5278 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
What items can be ordered through ILL?
Generally: books, articles, and conference papers. Other items (such as dissertations, DVDs, CDs, etc.) may be available at the discretion of the lending library.
How do I request an item through ILLiad?
- Log in to the ILLiad system at https://brynmawr.illiad.oclc.org/illiad/ by entering your Bryn Mawr College username and password.
- Select the type of item you wish to request (article, book, or other material).
- Fill in all required fields and as much additional information as you know. Try not to abbreviate. The more information you can supply, the easier it will be to fulfill your request.
- If you find a citation in one of our electronic databases, but full text is not available, you can access ILLiad directly through the FindIt button.
Are there any restrictions on what can be requested through ILL?
- Articles available via our library databases or free online will not be ordered. Items that are owned by any Tri-co library will not be ordered via ILL, unless they are checked out, lost, or otherwise inaccessible. Try these suggestions for locating your item before putting in an ILL request.
- Interlibrary Loan cannot be used to request textbooks. Textbooks for current classes may be on reserve at one of the campus libraries; search for them in Tripod.
- Some requested materials are under embargo (e.g. some dissertations) and cannot be obtained by ILL. Contact a Reference Librarian for suggestions on what other materials might satisfy your research needs.
How long does it take to get ILL items?
Depending on the availability of your requested item and our distance from the lending library, it may take anywhere from 24 hours to one month. Articles normally arrive in one to three days; books and other physical items in one to two weeks. We cannot guarantee that any particular item can be obtained. Please submit requests early to allow materials to be delivered in time for your projects.
How can I get my ILL items faster?
Before putting in an ILL request, please try the following:
- Check Tripod, the library catalog, to see if Bryn Mawr, Haverford or Swarthmore already have your item. Remember that we have hard copies of many journals (particularly older issues.).
- If requesting an article, check library databases and/or Google Scholar for a full-text copy.
- If requesting a book, check E-ZBorrow, which usually has faster delivery than ILL.
Also, please try to fill out the information on your request form as completely as possible.
How can I check the status of my ILL request?
You can check the status of your request by logging into ILLiad and viewing your Outstanding Requests on the Main Menu.
In what situations would an ILL request be cancelled?
If you receive a "Request Cancelled" notice, please read it carefully. The cancellation may be due to a problem that can be easily corrected. If this is the case, you may resubmit the request with the correct information. Otherwise, the cancellation notice will be accompanied by an explanation of why the item cannot be obtained. Feel free to contact the Interlibrary Loan Coordinator at 610-526-5278 or e-mail email@example.com with any questions about cancellation notices.
How can I pick up my items?
- Physical items, such as books, will be held for delivery at the Canaday Library circulation desk, and can be picked up any time the library is open. Items that have not been picked up by the due date will be returned to the lending library. ILL items are checked out in Tripod, so you will need your OneCard as you would if you were checking out Bryn Mawr books.
- Articles delivered electronically can be accessed from ILLiad by selecting "Electronically Received Articles" in the View menu. These articles are deleted after 30 days, so make sure to save them to your own computer or print them out.
Can I take ILL books out of the library?
Most ILL books can be taken from the library. Occasionally, a lending library may request that a book be used only within our library building, usually if it is rare or fragile. We try to avoid this situation, but with some items there may be no alternative.
How do I know when to bring an ILL book back?
The due date will be marked on a label or paper band found on the front of the book, and will also be shown in your Tripod account. Please also note that books can be recalled by the lending library at any time. If the book is recalled, you must bring the book back immediately once you are notified.
Can ILL books be renewed?
- Most ILL books are eligible for renewal. Renewal requests can be placed from ILLiad. If a book is not eligible for renewal, this will be noted on the front of the book.
- Renewals are subject to the decision of the lending library and are not guaranteed. Renewals are rarely granted more than once.
What happens if my ILL items are overdue or lost?
- ILL books that are overdue are charged $1 per day. Also, the lending library has the right to recall their books. If this happens, you will be emailed with a new due date; books not returned by this due date will also be charged $1 per day.
- ILL books that are damaged or lost will be assessed a charge for repair or replacement as determined by the lending library.
- Repeated problems with lateness or mistreatment of ILL items may result in loss of ILL privileges.